Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Zipper Triumph

So I'm back again with another story. Since the last time I blogged I had gone to the fabric store and bought, to my distraught, the wrong zipper size. It took a couple of days before I got the right one by chance while shopping at Walmart. The black zipper I found was the only one the size I needed for my garment. So I bought the zipper along with a small hand sewing machine I couldn't possibly live without and went on my way. So fast-tracking to this afternoon since my last garment fiasco I was very reluctant to start again. The last garment I finished, or didn't, was a disaster. The seams of this garment were off, the zipper was inserted backwards (as you may recall from my previous blog), and the seams on the sides had tiny holes in them as I cut the notches a bit too large.
This time around I decided I had to think about what I did wrong the last time and just mind those little details this time around such as matching the bodice's and skirt's darts and seams when sewing the garment together. The zipper was for me the part I was totally dreading. I have seen the video on inserting an invisible zip like 20 times and I still could not bring myself around to trying it again. Finally towards the end of the afternoon I finally realized I had ran out of excuses not to give it a whirl so I got off my ass and start working on that infamous zip. To my surprise by the time I was done the zipper turned out nearly perfect. I could not believe my achievement. The dress is, as we speak, in the dress form only pending the shoulder seams, the finishing for neckline and arm holes and the hem, which I plan to do by hand and practice my invisible hem. The skirt may turnout a bit short since I have to fold the fabric twice but who cares. I have about one hour left before bed and I plan to spend it watching "Deadly Women" in Netflix. Pleasant dreams whoever you are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment